Sunday, February 27, 2011

March Madness

Our gym's 60 day Paleo challenge is almost over. Tomorrow marks the 50th day... only ten more to go. Or so I thought. On a wine crawl after a tough Friday workout a few fellow crossfitters and myself were discussing the paleo challenge and some struggles and a new challenge was devised. This is not one for the light hearted, in fact it has me shakin in the sheets as I think about it tonight.

It's not as long as the first. 30 days, the month of March.
It starts March 1st which rolls into the last few days of the 60 day challenge. And I may only teach Kindergarten math, but 60+30=90 which also equals a LONG time.

Here are the guidelines: This is from my crossfit coach :)

Start: March 1st
End: March 31st
March 1st weigh in and tape measure total (hips, waist, mid thigh, bicep) add together for total
* NO weigh-ins during the month. If you get near the scale I will yell. We are taking weight out of it. Only measurable means will be how your clothes are fitting.
Dos and Donts:
1. Do: Lean meats- Chicken, grass fed beef, free range eggs, lamb, fish, lean pork cuts
2. Don't: Sausage, bacon, salami, etc. even if its nitrate free
3. Do: Green and Colorful veggies
4. Try to limit fat addition other than fish oil
5. Don't: Fruit in any form or fashion
6. Don't: Sweet potatoes, winter squashes**
7. Don't: Anything white (minus cauliflower)- bread, pasta, cereal, grains, legumes, dairy
8. Don't: Sugar- both artificial and real
9. Don't: Alcohol, coffee, caloric drinks
10. Do: Drink tons of water (this will be the ONLY allowable liquid)
11. Do: Eat within 30 minutes of waking, protein emphasis try to get 30 g protein
12. TRY to get 8 hrs sleep per night
** Only allowed on re-feed days
Since we will be pretty much "low carb" it for the month we will do "re-feeds" every 7 days minus the first 12 days. A re-feed is a large jump in calories and carbs to keep your metabolism cranking so it doesn't slow down during this period of caloric restriction. It will be calorically restricted due to the fact that it will be hard to overeat on protein and veggies. The goal on a re-feed day will be to eat a sweet potato and/or winter squash with every meal with added fat to the meals. Consider it a "binge." Below is the schedule for the month.
Tuesday March 1- Friday March 11: Low carb no refeeds until Saturday March 12
Sunday March 13 - Friday March 18: Low carb- Re-feed on Saturday March 19
Sunday March 20-Friday March 25: Low carb- Re-feed on Saturday March 26
Sunday March 27-Thursday March 31: Low carb
2nd weigh-in and measurements will be done March 31st.

Oh good grief..... my stomach instantly started hurting when I read that email. I am anxiously nervous and excited at the same time. I already feel different after the 60 day challenge so to change it up with this, something new, it will be interesting.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared. No fruit. If you have been looking at my food log I have some every morning for breakfast. And the biggest worry.... NO COFFEE! When I decided to give up my first true love, Diet Coke, B.C (before Crossfit) my addiction turned to a new caffeinated love coffee. I cannot tell you the last morning I started the day without some java. And if I waited too long I was greeted with a "Good Morning Neglector" caffeine headache. So I may be a bit edgy and cranky for the next month. Those kinder babies better watch out in the mornings. I wish I would have listened a bit closer so I could've weaned myself off slowly instead of the cold turkey that will be greeting me tomorrow.

I went on a bit of a binge before the March Madness started. A little red wine and some paleo orange chocolate scones to go with the Oscars tonight. Gotta get it in before saying "Sianora" for the next month. Cheers! :)

Jodi, my sweet friend, was the coconspirator in this challenge. Follow her here: http://mymarchmadness.blogspot.com. (I stole her clever blog name for the title)


No comments:

Post a Comment