Monday, May 31, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

Today I couldn't help but think that last year on Memorial Day was when our world was turned upside down.

On our way back from our Honeymoon we received a call that Tom had been selected for the Marine Officer Candidate School. He had worked so hard for this for a long time and although it had taken me a while to get on board, we were both beyond ecstatic. We moved back down to College Station together for about a month and Tom finished out his year working with Texas A&M. Then back to Flower Mound to live with his mom while we waited for Tom to leave for OCS at Qauntico, Virginia. I couldn't go to VA with him for training so I was going to live with his mom for the summer until I could move up with him and then begin looking for a job. I had a nannying job for the summer while I waited.

One thing I love about being a part of the Hruskocy family is their big family get togethers. Everyone lives close so you can always count on a family gathering for each holiday. Last Memorial Day everyone was together for the holiday and for a send off party for Tom. He was leaving the following Tuesday. Everyone was there! I had been working to help his mom set up and Tom was seeing a movie with my dad. Next thing Tom walks in.."We need to talk."

We walk outside, because remember the whole family was inside, and he breaks the news that his Officer Candidate class was cut due to Obama's recent budget cuts, their was a hold on the spending. (Now... I never talk about politics, I am not informed. But me and that man, we have some personal beef!) Talk about heartbroken and stunned. Our whole plan... we were living with his mom, both jobless with no plan. The tears were flowing, his family thought we were fighting. It was the hardest day of our marriage and we had been married for two months.

Those following weeks were hard. VERY hard. We had to make some big decisions. We had nothing but our faith to rely on. But within that struggle some life lessons were learned. God's plan was not our plan. As hard as those times were and the tears we cried, God was faithful. He was and is sovereign and in control. I am able to see His work in our lives the past year and I am thankful. What an amazing testimony and foundation to build a marriage on...

This Memorial Day THANKFULLY was A LOT less eventful. Spaghetti squash with my husband and brother-in-law and then lounging around relaxing. And after last year.... that was just fine by me. What a difference a year has made. This Memorial Day I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment