Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tree Barf

I think I may have the best job in the world. If you would have asked me last year, with the class I had, my answer might have been a bit different... just kidding. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my class this year! I have 17 of the sweetest Kinder babies in my class.

I love how pure and unfiltered their conversations are. Lately one of my tables has been talking about God. Melt my heart... I have heard things like, "God is always watching us" and "He always keeps us safe" and "Jesus and God are the same person!" I love listening to them and hearing about things in their Kinder minds. It warms my heart.

Then other times I cannot hold back the laughter because the things they say are so funny. Remember this story from last year? We have been learning about living and non living things and have adopted a tree to observe throughout the year as the seasons change. We talked about why and how the leaves change in the fall and then started to talk about the parts of a tree. Here is how the conversation went...

Mrs. H: "Someone raise their hands and tell me what are the different parts of a tree."
Students: "Trunk!"
"Branches!"
"Leaves!"
"Roots!"
Mrs. H: "Good! Now who can remember the part of the tree that is brown...and it covers the
trunk... it's usually bumpy... and it protects the trees insides."
Student: "BARF!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ohmygoodness! Come on Katie, hold it together... I couldn't... I lost it. I started laughing OUT LOUD... at one of my students. And I don't mean a quiet chuckle, but tears streaming down the face laughing. When I composed myself, wiped away the tears of laughter, and told them "I'm sorry I laughed but do you know what barf is?" No one did. Oh gosh, I thought. I am about to tell my students what barf is. But I was already in too deep. "Barf means throw up. Does a tree have throw up? I think you meant to say the tree has bark." And then they lost it, they were all laughing and I was too. Yes... this is just a normal day in Mrs. H's Kindergarten Class. Don't you wish I was your teacher?!?!

Ha ha. Oh geez. So along with talking about God and Jesus they are also talking about barf and tree bark. Luckily no parents have called asking why their child said they are learning about barf... that's right Teacher of the Year right here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment