Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

As a teacher I get to enjoy some of the same holidays I did as a student. I am excited for tomorrow so I can start the MOUNTAIN of laundry that has piled up due to our broken washing machine. I love four day weekends!

Last week I taught a few lessons on differences and individuality to speak about Martin Luther King. The introductory lesson to the mini unit was a book called, Tacky the Penguin. I absolutely love this story. Tacky is definately that! He does not act like the other penguins, he is loud, dances instead of marches, and is a terrible singer and the other penguins don't like him.

In the story they use the word "ODD." I stop reading to start a discussion....
Mrs. H: "What do you think the word odd means? Think about our character Tacky! The story
says he is odd..."
Students: "Different"....... "Silly"....... "Weird"
Mrs. H: "Yes, those are great words for odd! Do you think it is okay to be odd?"
Students: "Yes! We are all different!" (I love these conversations :)
Mrs. H: "That's right! I think I am weird sometimes... I am different from you!"

A little boys raises his hand thinking hard & says:
"Yeah..... you are different.... sometimes.... well you're head looks like a shark."
Oh sweet lord! Sometimes I have to try so hard not to laugh! He was not being silly, he said this so matter of fact. All I could say was... "Okay! That's right I am different than you! My head may be shaped like a shark but thats okay!"

The thing I love most about Kindergartners is there is NO filter! I have about ten of these stories a week. Later that week we talked about Martin Luther King and how he made it okay to be different. So tomorrow I will be celebrating Martin Luther King and the fact that it is okay that my head is shaped like a shark............ I just hope he wasn't thinking hammerhead! :)

1 comment:

  1. KT- what an adorable little man in your class! Ha- reminds me of the good 'ol days back at Donald. And also reminds me of what the little 4 year old I nanny for said when she held up a Cheetoh a few weeks ago at lunch: "Whoa! This Cheetoh almost looks like a big fat TURD!" Yes, thank you for that visual, little princess. It sure makes my peanut butter and jelly sandwich taste better. Little ones are so fun =)And I cannot condone your abandonment of P Dub. I am crying tears of sadness for you, but promise to eat enough butter and potatoes for the both of us. =)

    ReplyDelete