Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Our First Easter and the Million Dollar Dog

Our first Easter as newlyweds was quite eventful... maybe too eventful. It started out just as we had planned. We went to chuch with my family which was amazing. We were able to see the new sanctuary at the Village Church. Yes, it had been that long. Then we started our musical holiday rotation. Tom and I went to my parents house for a delicious Easter brunch featuring some of Pioneer Woman's finest creations. There was even some time to snooze on the couch while watching Prison Lockup (Easter at the Farrells) before heading over for the Hruskocy celebration.

I love that our families live here in the same town. Family is what the holidays are about and I am so glad that we can spend it with both of our loved ones. The Hruskocy celebrations are a bit busier than my childhood holidays. My family always had the Farrell Four because our distant relatives lived as far northwest and northeast as you can get from Texas. With three nieces and two (and one on the way) nephews my mother in law's house is always moving. I love being a part of their family and I truly, with every bone in my body, love my in-laws.

With full bellies and happy hearts, our Easter did turn. This is how the rest of our night went down and will leave us with a first Easter to remember. We walked in the apartment to an awful smell, no not the dump, a guest room full of doggie surprise explosions. Kali is a bit of a spaz so she stays in her kennel but no kennel could contain this mess. Instant buzz kill. (Did I mention this will be a pictureless post...)
After 45 minutes of scrubbing with little to no progress being made we give in and rush to the store to rent a carpet shampooer $40. Thanks Kali. Tom starts shampooing the carpet while I lay on the bed having an all out melt down. It gets better...

After almost 30 minutes of shampooing we decide that I am going to stay home the next day to take Kali to the vet and get this under control. I walk out to get my cell phone to start calling substitutes to find the freakin' Nile river running out of the laundry room, through the kitchen, and on the way to the living room. Our washing machine was pouring out overflowing into the apartment. I scream at Tom over the shampooer, one or many obscenities may have been yelled. Happy Easter.

Then a knock on the door, its close to ten oclock. Its our neighbor from below. The water had gone through the ceiling and was pouring into her apartment. AWESOME! Shaking, crying and hysterical (not Tom, just me) we mop up the floors and greet a maintenance man at 10:30. Typed sub plans until 3 am, took Kali out at 4, vet visit at 930 am.

Tom was so calm and even keeled and I was an absolute mess. I love Tom even more. Every bump, in this case Mt Everest strengthens our marriage and this was that proved that statement. Although it may not have been our ideal night we made it through. Although we both said, "What else could have happened?"

Turns out Kali must have gotten into some craw fish scraps at the craw fish boil and the spices did not agree. She's obviously not Cajun. After a small fortune spent for the doctor's fee, two medications, and one gourmet bag of dog food Kali is happy as a clam. Our poor, sweet little pooper has a skin infection and sensitive stomach. Yes, this pup we got at a 50% off Valentines sale at the pound has well then made up for that discount. With kennel cough, pneumonia, mange, and many, many bottles of folex carpet cleaner, she just may be our own million dollar dog. But we do love you sweet Kali. I have had to look at this picture about 3 thousand times in the past two dayd to keep reminding myself that.

After our vet visit I had a much needed day off. A mental health day for me and my sweet Kali to snuggle and me to rub her sesitive tummy. I do love my pup! Happy (Belated) Easter from the Hruskocys! Hope your brought you no surprise explosions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment