Monday, September 24, 2012

Through the Eyes of a Kindergartner

After the entire Summer of lounging in Mr H's basketball shorts and over sized T shirts I was not particulary excited about going back to school this year. Pure laziness! Every day God shows me that I am right where I need to be in the classroom. I adore my students this year I am a Dual Language teacher and so I have two classes; one of 23 students and the other 24. Most of the students' native language is Spanish and there are some native English speakers. The goal... to create bilingual students by the 3rd grade. Needless to say, this year is different.

But I have some of the sweetest, most well behaved students. I am dusting off some of my Spanish vacabulary and piecing together their questions. But love and encouragement is a universal language. And I am enjoying lots of sweet hugs and belly rubs from my students.

My favorite part about this year is talking about Baby B with them. Everyday I write a morning message which consists of a family portrait in many situations, which includes the Buddha belly. This usually recieves some giggles and a few, "Your belly is getting big!" comments. (See picture below)


Each day brings new comments concerning my every growing tummy. I love seeing this pregnancy through the eyes of my Kindergarten students. Here are some of my favorite Baby drawings from the students and a few everyday questions and comments.


Conversation #1:
Student: "Why is your tummy so big?"
Mrs. H: "Well I have a baby in my tummy!"
Student: "Why did you eat your baby?"

Conversation #2:
Student: "Are you having a baby?" (This is my student who I have had for 4 weeks...)
Mrs. H: "Yes I am I have told you that silly!"
Student: "God gave you a baby in your tummy!"
So, so sweet!

Conversation #3:
Student: "Mrs. H I'll bet your baby is going to be so smart!"
Mrs. H: "Haha, why?"
Student: "Well she can already hear you teaching us!"
(So perceptive! :)

Situation (well everyday)...
Mrs. H drops a marker.
Mrs. H reaches to bend over and struggles to grab it.
Mrs. H: "Hey ______, do you think you can hand me that marker?"
Student: "Oh yea, it's because your belly is too big now."
Mrs. H: "NO! Okay, yes..."

Look at Baby B!
Sweet, sweet drawings! 

Like I said, a day in Kindergarten is never boring. These students are already loving on my girl! Plenty of hugs and tummy rubs! This girl is going to be so spoiled. Yes, teaching is quite rewarding! :)

1 comment:

  1. this was so sweet! you're such a fabulous teacher, friend. maybe I can ship my kiddos down to you for kindergarten =)

    ReplyDelete